Thursday, November 18, 2010

What a great day in Brazil








Hello all.
A lot to talk about today. Started very tired this morning. My body has not adjusted to the time change yet, so it feels like I am getting up at 330am everyday. Very tired!!

Had a wonderful chamber orchestra rehearsal this morning-made GREAT progress and really had a connection with the players today. I think they believe in me and trust me, which is very cool. It makes for a great music making environment when this happens. They are very friendly, positive, and really making beautiful music.

Came back to the hotel at noon and slept for two hours. Had to catch up on some sleep. Ate lunch at 2pm and Arley picked me up at 3 to make the trip to Pindoretama. his wife and daughter were along so that was nice to see them again. We drove a different way so I could see more of the beach and ocean. Went through a beautiful resort area right on the coast-amazing!!! And very expensive.

Stopped at a vendor along the rode where they crush sugar cane and make it into juice and candy. Tasted some and bought some. Then we stopped at another roadside place where Arley often stops for a snack. Very nice old man who explained how they made the stuff. See pics.

We were a little late to rehearsal because of the stopping and that worried me as I need every bit of rehearsal time I can get. Kids were there waiting for us and ready to go. Had a great rehearsaL tonight. Circus Days is concert ready, then we worked on Ave Maria-they still have a hard time playing slow and soft, so I did some articulation exercises and tuning with them.. It got better, but still not perfect. At least they are aware now and have an understanding of the goal. Then we played Longford Legend and the 1st and 3rd movements are ready to go. Second movement, slow, still needs some work.

Here is a funny one, I totally forgot I sent concert variations by claude smith down to them. Arley asked me if I was going to rehearse it and I had forgotten to even bring my score. They had one for me and the band played the daylights out of the piece. By far the best piece they had rehearsed. It was REALLY good!!! Very cool. They REALLY like the piece also.

We finished out rehearsal with Persuasion, and the brazilian piece we are doing. There is a wonderful positive energy in the group. It is probably the most meaningful teaching experience I have had for many years. See the next blog telling the story of the group.

Came back home to the hotel and had dinner around 830 and have been on the computer ever since. Enjoying my time here immensely and Arley is already talking about my next trip and what we are going to do together to improve bands in Brazil. Very cool

I think that is all for now in this blog. thanks for following the trip and I will now write another blog about the band.

Tchau

No comments:

Post a Comment