Friday, November 19, 2010

My final rehearsal with the wind orchestra











Boa noite (good evening-bo-no-eeche)

Tonight I had my final rehearsal with the orquestra sopros de Pindoretama. It went pretty well and we are ready for the concert. It certainly is not perfect, but we have made such progress in just three rehearsals. There were many great "teaching moments" tonight, so I took full advantage of those. I want to try to leave as much musical knowledge as I possibly can for these wonderful children as I may never see them again and I want to at least have had some impression on them in my short time here. I honestly can say that I think I have made a difference in their lives this week. May sound vain, but it is so rewarding to see their faces light up when they know that they have done something well.

After the rehearsal, we went to the center of the city where we will by playing our Saturday night concert starting at 830. It is right outside the Catholic church and they have mass at 6pm, so after mass, we will set up and play the concert.

After that, we went to basically a gas station that had a little restaurant attached and had a pizza and some cervejas with one of the tuba players. While there, some people from the town that know Arley came to our table and talked for awhile. It was the first time I have been able to just immerse myself in their culture. I have either been in rehearsal, in my hotel room catching up on sleep, or driving from one place to another. What I love most about my travels is just being able to sit at a table outside and watch the surroundings. A true education.

I did not get back to the hotel until 1030 tonight so it is now 1123 as I am writing the blog. I get to SLEEP IN in the morning!!! Arley will pick me up at 10am for a day of hanging out together, talking, and maybe going to the beach for awhile. He will pick me up at 6pm to go to the concert. I probably won't blog again until I get home after the concert or maybe even Sunday morning.

Another great day of music making and friendship. I hope you all are well and enjoying reading about the trip. I am blessed to have these types of opportunities in my life.

Tchau, Tchau

No comments:

Post a Comment