Thursday, November 25, 2010

My Work is Done

Well, my trip to Brazil has drawn to a close. We had an amazing concert today in a beautiful theatre that is celebrating its 100th anniversary. Tonight was a birthday concert for the hall. It was beautiful. I hope you can see some of the grandeur in the photos.

I would say there were around 700 people in the audience. Very well received concert, although there was some talking at the beginning and they clapped between movements of multi-movement works. Oh well....

The orchestra played great. There was wonderful chemistry on the stage and I think this was the performance we were all hoping before. We had a sound check at 600-630 to check the acoustics. They were GREAT!!! Perfect for chamber orchestra. On the break between sound check and rehearsal, they had a surprise birthday party for one of the violinists. They had me put on a birthday party hat and everything. It was cool to celebrate along with them.

We then played the concert and I was so proud to stand in front of the group. After the concert, they all shook my hand and gave me hugs. I gathered from the reception and warmth I received that this was a bit different from other concerts they played. I think they really played better than they usually do, but that is just a gut feeling.

THE COOLEST PART OF THE CONCERT-About 25 students from the orquestra sopros de Pindoretama came to the concert!!! Some of them drove in a bus, and others paid 10 real (about 7 bucks) to ride the bus for over an hour just to come see the concert. What a wonderful surprise to look up in the side balcony when I was taking a bow and seeing those faces again. It was so cool. They came backstage after the concert and we talked for awhile, tooks some more pictures (yes more pictures!!!) hugged alot and then said goodbye yet again. It was very special to have them there and know that they would give of their time to come see the concert.

After the concert, we went to Rodizio de massa and pizza (all you can eat pasta and pizza) for our final meal together. Unlike in America where you walk up to the food bar to get more food, here, they continually bring around a variety of Italian dishes and you just keep taking small portions of whatever they have until you are done. The food was amazing and it was a neat experience.

We talked quite a bit about what the future holds for Arley and I. We are both committed to making sure we stay in touch and try to get this book going. I said my goodbyes to Beatrice and Christina as they will not be with Arley when he takes me to the airport tomorrow morning. I will miss them both very much. We talked about how they need to come to the US sometime to stay with my family and see the US.

I meet with the Ceara Cultural Secretary at 10am in the morning. She is the one who made the official invitation for me to come here. At 1030, we are going to leave the hotel and stop by the Mercado market as I need to get just a few more things for the family.

We will be at the airport by 1130 or so and my flight is at 135. I have a six hour layover in Brasilia before heading to Atlanta and then home.

It has been a wonderful trip and I hope you have enjoyed reading about it. This will be my last blog of this trip. Thanks for reading and I will see you soon back in America.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment