Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I have arrived









Well, after a long day and night of travel, I have arrived in Fortaleza. I was met at the airport by Arley and it was great to see him again. He is very excited that I am here. He brought me to my hotel, which is literally across the street from the Atlantic ocean. See pics. It is not the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in, but it is free, all my meals are free, and it is across the street from the Atlantic Ocean for gosh sakes!!!

I unpacked, went down and got something to eat-see pic- then went to an atm around the corner, got a dulce leleche (sweet milk chocolate pastry-refer back to Paraguay blog), went to the beach and took some pictures, and now I am in my room cooling off and going to take a quick nap before dinner. It si 3:38 right now and they are picking me up at 6pm for a meeting, dinner, and then off to an area where there are some bars and shopping to hang out for the night and have some cervesa.

The Portuguese language is very difficult for me since I just learned survival spanish. Some, but not many, words are the same so I am trying to learn the basics as quick as I can. Arley's english is pretty good, but not perfect so we have a deal that over the next two weeks, I will help him with english and he will help me with Portuguese. I already know 3 times as many words as I did before I landed.

He is married-his wife is a teacher, and they have a nine year old girl I am anxious to meet them both this week. He is 33 and quite a story that I will tell later sometime.

This place is very much like a much larger Asuncion. Lots of street people, young people at every intersection wanting to wash your windows for a handout, lots of what I see as poverty. I will be anxious to learn more about the culture and socioeconomics of the area. It is definetely a tourist destination here in Brazil. Much like Florida. Very warm all the time, the ocean water is always warm, and beautiful view of the ocean.

Well, that is all for now. I am going to try to sleep for about an hour before I get up to shower for the evening.

Tchau (that is how they spell ciao)

No comments:

Post a Comment