Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A relaxing afternoon and evening

Hello
I think I left off yesterday about half way through the day on my blog. Arley came to pick me up around 330 and we sat in the hotel and talked for about an hour or so. We are going to write a book together to be published and distributed here in Brazil about wind bands. I will write chapters on various aspects of wind bands and then he will respond/reflect on the concepts from a Brazilian wind band perspective. I will use the articles I have already written for the Instrumentalist as a basic starting point for chapters. We are developing a chapter by chapter outline of what we want to include, then I will begin writing these chapters and sending them down to him. Once the book is completed and distributed, he will invite me down and we will travel together around Brazil doing workshops and masterclasses talking about and demonstrating the concepts in the book. Arley calls us the Battisti and Garafolo of Latin America!!! I think this will work and I am anxious to get started with the chapters.

Then we went to his apartment and had some snacks and juice. A very small apartment, but nice and very comfortable. He said this was very common of middle class Brazilian culture. Good food and good fellowship.

Then we took Beatrice to her English class and I was a guest to the class. I talked, in English, with the children so they could practice their language skills. We talked about where I was from, where some of them had been in America, food, movies, colors, pets, where all I have traveled, etc. It was really fun and they were cute. Then we took a group picture.

While Beatrice finished class, Arley and I went across the street to a shopping mall very much like in America. Lots of floors, very nice stores, etc. I bought Kelly a shirt, but things were pretty expensive so that is all I bought there.

After we picked Beatrice up from class, we drove back downtown to the ocean to another beach where there is a pier that goes out into the ocean. We hung out there for awhile and took some pictures. It was cool.

Then, there is an outdoor shopping market across the street from my hotel open every night. I had not gone yet, so we walked around and shopped for awhile. I got Joyce something there as I had not yet gotten her anything. It was just like the shopping we did yesterday morning, lots of traditional Brazilian stuff for good prices.

Then we went to dinner at a restaurant close to the hotel named Geppos. It was a very nice place with a varied menu, except their pizza oven was closed for weekly cleaning. We were all looking forward to having pizza. I had a very nice spaghetti dish, Beatrice had french fries, and Arley and Christina shared a shrimp entree.

I bought dinner tonight for all of us. They have paid for everything so far that we have eaten outside the hotel, so I really feel like I owe them.

I am missing my family and ready to head home. I was so busy last week that I didn't really have time to think about it that much, but now that I have more free time, I miss seeing and talking with Kelly and the kids. Only a few more days and I will be heading north.

I am very lucky to have a wife who is so understanding of my desires and opportunities to travel abroad and have these experiences. She always supports my travels, even though it puts a burden on her at home with work and no help around the house. The kids are also understanding and I think they think it is neat when daddy goes somewhere and they can tell their friends while I am gone and then wear their shirts and jewelry to school when I get back.

I miss them all very much and I am looking forward to seeing them on Saturday.

Well, I have to run to my final ORCEC rehearsal (Orquestra Camara de Eleazar Carvalho) the name of the chamber orchestra. I am looking forward to wrapping up the rehearsals and just playing the concerts.

We are going to the mountains (hills from what I understand from the English man) today so I will be gone all afternoon. I will try to write when I get home tonight if it is not too late.

Tchau

No comments:

Post a Comment