Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oh what a night





Greetings my friends. It has been a very interesting afternoon and evening. It is 9:50pm and I just finished dinner and am in my room to blog. Arley picked me up at 3pm today to go to the town of Pindoretama where his wind project is located. It took about an hour and 15 minutes to get there, but I got to see alot of the countryside along the way. When we arrived, it was VERY cool. The entire band was set up outside, along with the 30 or so string players he started two months ago (no instruments) and the assistant governer of the town. They were all there to welcome me-how cool is that!!! They played two pieces, the asst. governer gave a little speech, and I got to speak as well. You just cannot believe the beautiful smiles on these peoples faces. They all have very dark complexions, deep brown eyes, and wonderful smiles. Arley is doing an amazing thing with the kids in this community.

I was so honored to have them welcome me that way. You could tell by the way they were looking at me that most of them had never seen an american before. I felt like a foreigner for sure, but they were so friendly.

Then we had a little reception in a room where the older students, basically section leaders, had some empanadas and just talked for awhile. The youngest was 15 and the oldest 23. Most of them have played in the group or been active in the project since it was started eleven years ago. We talked about how important this project is and how it has given them something positive to do with their lives rather than doing drugs and prostitution like many of their friends. I am going to go into detail about the project in my blog tomorrow. Too much to write for tonight, but you will find it very interesting I think.

AFter the reception and talk, we started rehearsal around 530pm. They were all anxious to get rehearsing as was I. AFter hearing them play outside, I knew there were some things I would want to work on, but overall they had a very nice and warm sound. That would change quickly.

We started with the Curnow Fanfare and Flourishes. The rehearsal room is quite small so they play pretty loud in general. The type of music they usually play is quite rhythmic and up tempo, so articulations are very harsh. The greatest challenge is going to be to teach phrasing. They take breaths all over the place and break phrases often. Overall, they can play this piece OK tho so it will need a bit more work but will be fine.

Then I did the Biebl Ave Maria-very slow and expressive. This was a challenge for them due to the aforementioned. We spent alot of time on shaping a phrase, not breathing on bar lines, and just trying to play expressively. While it was hard on them, they could hear the difference and I think understood what I was striving for.

Then we did the Sheldon Longford Legend, a difficult piece for them. They could really play the first movement pretty well. You could tell they were proud of themselves for the work they had done on this before I came. The second movement, which is slow, did not go so well. They just aren't used to playing slow music. The last movement, again a faster movement, also went pretty well. Then we took a break. The room is quite hot and crowded.

After break, we read through the Nestico Persuasion, an alto sax solo with band. Arley is a fine saxophone player so I decided to feature him on this piece. It went well. Then we did a Brazilian piece call Choros and Dobrado. Of course, they played the heck out of that since it is in their comfort zone. Then we closed rehearsal with Circus Days. We started in a pretty fast two, but then I changed it to one and they about fell out of their seats. They were having fun, but struggling to keep up. I completely forgot to read through the Ticheli Shendandoah!!! It is also going to be hard for them since it is slow. The goal of my coming to work with them is to "Americanize" their band sound and expose them to American band music. I will have alot of work to do. The only problem is that I only have two more rehearsals, so we aren't going to get alot of fundamental training done, just work for the concert. Arley and I talked at length on the drive home about ways for him to work with the group to address these weaknesses in their musicianship on a longer term basis.

After rehearsal, we stopped to pick up his wife and daughter from her English lesson. She is just cute as a button. Today they learned the seasons and she has a test on Friday, so I was quizzing her on how to say the seasons and which ones are hot and which are cold. I think she enjoyed that.

Had a very nice dinner at 9pm of chicken, mashed potatoes, and this wonderful Greek Rice dish they have. I like it the best of anything I have eaten so far. the food is just fine, pretty good actually.

Well that was a pretty long blog now wasn't it. Geez, this is just my first day of rehearsal!!! It seems like much more than that since I go three hours in the morning, then take a three hour break and go back again in the evening. Each day feels like two days.

I am going to try to get to sleep around 1030 or 11 tonight, but I have a feeling my head will be spinning with what I need to get done in rehearsals tomorrow. Arley picks me up at 730 again tomorrow and the schedule is the same. We are going to do a tour of Pindoretama tomorrow before rehearsal so I will have great pictures to show you. You talk about poverty......holy cow. You just can't believe the living conditions in this town.


No comments:

Post a Comment