Sunday, June 27, 2010

alot of catching up to do






hello all
I have alot of catching up to do on the blog as I did not get a chance to write yesterday. A full day indeed.

We left the hotel at 830am for a day trip into the surrounding towns outside of Asuncion. I was really looking forward to seeing what the Paraguayan life was like outside of the big city. I was not to be disappointed. We drove through many little towns on our trip, usually stopping at each one briefly to look at stuff and shop a bit. Each town is kind of known for something. The first town for their stitch work, the second for their clay pottery, the third for their strawberries. We were making our way up to a very nice lake area called San Bernadino where alot of more wealthy Paraguayans have summer homes and where people like to vacation. Reminded me alot of the Lake of the Ozarks, Paraguayan style. Very beautiful. See pics posted. We had a great lunch and then started our way back towards Asuncion, again stopping at various points along the way. I really appreciate Gustavo and his dad giving up that time to take me on the trip. It was fun to just spend time with them and learning about the countryside and their practices.

In the afternoon, Gustavo, Rosanna and Patricia took Jim and I shopping to an area called Villa Mora. The shopping mall was very much like an Oak Park Mall inside. Multi level with lots of very nice shops. The outside area was very much like the plaza-many nice shops, boutiques, pubs, and restaurants along the sidewalks. It was a great time, very relaxing and tranquillo.

Then we went to an asado (cookout) at one of the percussionists homes. We cooked out beef ribs and sausage, as well as having sides and bread, and ALOT of beer. We stayed out until 230AM partying and just hanging out. It was great, but I was really tired this morning. I slept in until 1115.

We then went over to Rosanna's parents home to celebrate her father's 72nd birthday. Lots of family there and we had pasta. Very good. Just hung out with her family for awhile. It is so nice of them to make us feel so at home and part of their family.

Came back and took a two hour nap this afternoon, had dinner with Jim here in the hotel and have been working on the computer for a few hours now trying to get the blog, facebook, and skyping caught up.

A great two days for sure. Hope you enjoy the pics and the blog. Busy day tomorrow. I think things are going to heat up quite a bit this week since it is concert week. I am supposed to teach some conducting masterclasses at the National University this week, and I know I will have some newspaper interviews to do.

I will do my best to keep this updated.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment